What Documents Do I Need To Sell My Home?

It can be stressful to try to sell your house. Finding a good estate agent, fixing up your house, and setting up viewings are just some of the things you need to think about.

Then there is all the paperwork…

If you want to sell your home, you’ll need to fill out a number of papers. Some of these are pretty easy, while others are a bit more complicated.

“But what are the right papers?” we hear you asking. Well, here’s a list of all the things you’ll need:

Essential Documents you need to sell a house

Proof of Identification

First, the basics: if you want to sell your house, you’ll need to show your lawyer that you are who you say you are. This is usually a recent utility bill or other proof of your present address and a photo ID, like a passport or driver’s license. Check with your lawyer or conveyancer ahead of time to see if they will accept other papers.

Anti-money laundering rules require this proof of identity. Solicitors, conveyancers, and real estate agents all have to follow these rules, which say that they have to keep proof for five years. After this time, the papers are destroyed, so don’t worry that your information will be kept forever.

Title of the Property

Now you have to show that you own the house you want to sell. You might or might not have the title to your property. If you can’t find them, don’t worry; you can probably get a copy from the lawyer you worked with when you first got a mortgage or bought your home. Also, your present lawyer has to get official documents from the Land Registry anyway, so this shouldn’t be a problem.

But if your property hasn’t been sold since 1990, when property registration became mandatory in England and Wales, the Land Registry is unlikely to have a copy of the deeds (unless you freely registered it). This means that you will have to find those actions on your side. In some cases, they may be with your mortgage company or your lawyer. Get in touch with both of them as soon as possible to find out where they are.

If you can’t find the documents at all, you will have to ask the Land Registry for a “Title Absolute.” This means you have to show that you are the legal owner of your home and that you have the right to the land and the buildings on the property. You will also need to show that you’ve owned the property for 15 years without a break. If you can’t show this, you may want to call the Land Registry as soon as possible for advice on what to do next.

Please remember that getting a “Title Absolute” takes a lot more time and paperwork, so you’ll need to apply for it in advance before you want to sell your property.

Documentation for shared freehold ownership

If your home has a share of the freehold, the applicable freehold documents will be required as well. Similarly, if your home is leasehold, you must obtain a copy of the lease and complete a seller’s leasehold information form.

Allow several days or weeks for the retrieval of any leasehold information, as it is somewhat out of your control and depends on the managing agent or landlord operating quickly. To minimise any potential delays at this stage, it’s always a good idea to notify the person in charge of leasehold information well in advance.

Certificate of Energy Performance

When you sell your home, you must provide an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC). This document provides an assessment of your home’s energy use and CO2 impact, with a rating ranging from G (least efficient) to A (most efficient). If you do not have an EPC from the last ten years, you must obtain one from a trained assessor. This is normally done through your estate agent.

If you live in Scotland, you will need a Home Report, which must be generated within the last 10 weeks in order to be accepted. The only exceptions are a) if your property has been regularly marketed since a legitimate one was last generated, and b) if it is a new construction or conversion that hasn’t been lived in since it was built or converted.

Leasehold Information Pack

If you pay service charges or have a leasehold property, you may need to get a Leasehold Information Pack. You or your solicitor can arrange for this through the freeholder or managing agent; however, as with other elements of this process, speed is of the essence – and it’s best to do this as soon as possible, since it can sometimes take a while for them to be processed and sent out.

If you have been in a leasehold for more than two years, it may be worthwhile to extend it, as this could greatly improve the property’s value. Leaseholds with less than 80 years remaining, for example, may be worth substantially less than those with fewer than 85 years remaining, because landlords can charge an additional fee for the rise in value that an extension confers on the property (a marriage fee). Furthermore, many mortgages will not cover shorter leaseholds, so double-check this.

Fittings and Contents Form

The fittings and contents form, also known as the TA10, specifies exactly what is included in the sale of your home, including outbuildings, furniture, and ornaments. This list may include the garage, shed, plants, trees, and any indoor objects you give in as a bonus. Both you and the potential buyer should understand exactly what is included in the property price, as this will prevent delays and reduce the danger of the buyer backing out.

Property information form

The property information form, or TA6, as it is commonly called, is a thorough examination of your home in its existing shape and state. Any documents listed on this form must be provided, so make copies of everything on the list. A Buildings Regulations sign-off or a Fensa Certificate for replacement windows may be required. The TA6 form addresses the following topics:

  • Complaints – any ongoing disagreements with neighbours.
  • Limits – who is accountable for any hedges or fences, and where the property’s limits are.
  • Proposals –  are notices about future development in the neighbourhood. Letters could be from the local government or from neighbours.
  • Warranties – This includes any guarantees or warranties that are currently in place on the property, such as solar panels.
  • Planning – include any completed or ongoing renovations and construction projects. For instance, new windows being installed on an extension.
  • Insurance – offer information on how much it would cost to insure your home and any abnormalities.
  • Parking – Does your house have a driveway or a garage for parking? This section addresses all parking-related issues.
  • Services – Take note of the state of your home’s services, such as the boiler, heating, and electrical wiring.
  • Environmental concerns –  include any flooding threats and your Energy Performance Certificate.
  • Occupiers – indicate whether there are any current renters residing in the property and whether they intend to stay after the property is purchased.
  • Utility connection – This section discusses the location of meters on your property, such as water, electricity, and gas.
  • Transaction details – This part contains information about moving dates, specific moving requirements, and whether or not you intend to purchase another property.
  • Other costs – include leasing costs if your home is leasehold, as well as maintenance fees for flats or a gated residences.

Much of this information is provided by local governments, but as you may have guessed by now, the time it takes to obtain it ranges from 24 hours to a month, so be as attentive and prompt as possible on your end to avoid delays. This time should be dramatically reduced as more and more municipal governments adopt automated searches.

Mortgage Information

You will also need to provide information about your current mortgage, such as account information and the amount you currently owe. You must also give information about any other loans or charges lodged against your home.

These fees are often included on your Title Deeds. If you have outstanding charges from a former mortgage provider, you must contact them to have them removed.

If there is any outstanding payment, you must sign an undertaking. This is simply a commitment that you will use the proceeds from the sale to pay off the mortgage and that the buyer will have no liability for the debt. Without the undertaking, the buyer may be held accountable for the balance owed on the property.

Acceptance Offer

Your solicitor or conveyancer will write a document declaring acceptance of the offer once you have agreed to a deal with a buyer.

You will also be required to sign a Transfer of Deeds in order for the sale to be completed. Your legal representative will also be in charge of this, and contracts must be exchanged with the buyer. The contract will include information about the sale price, the date/time of completion, and any legal constraints.

The sale becomes legally binding once the contracts are exchanged and signed. This means that if one side withdraws, financial compensation will almost certainly be required. It also means it’s time to celebrate because you’ve successfully navigated the potentially tedious paperwork and have now officially sold your house. It’s no easy task, so congratulations!

Finally, if the property is worth more than a specific amount, you may need stamp duty certification from your solicitor. Typically, this occurs within 30 days of the completion date.

It’s a good idea to keep in touch with your solicitor or conveyancer throughout this time to stay on top of the home sale’s progress. But, if all goes well, you’re officially sold out, and we wish you luck with your next move…


Selling a house involves a meticulous process that necessitates the proper gathering and preparation of essential documents. Whether you’re looking to sell a home, property, or leasehold, understanding the documents you need is crucial to ensure a smooth and successful transaction. From property deeds and title documents to inspection records and disclosure forms, each piece of documentation plays a vital role in establishing transparency and credibility during the sale. By recognising the specific documents you need to sell your house, you can navigate the real estate market confidently and present potential buyers with the information they require.

Ultimately, this comprehensive approach not only streamlines the selling process but also instils a sense of trust and assurance, making your property an attractive proposition in the competitive market of selling houses.

Contact Us TODAY!

Ready to navigate the legal complexities smoothly? Contact SGT Law Firm today and take the first step towards expert legal guidance. Dial 0141 881 8795 to connect with our experienced professionals who are dedicated to providing you with the best solutions tailored to your needs. Your legal journey starts with a call – reach out to SGT Law Firm now!

Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *